Mission Statement

All I really really want my love to do is to bring out the best in me and in you too.
- All I Want by Joni Mitchell

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Mindfulness

https://dailyburn.com/life/lifestyle/instagram-positive-affirmations/
Hi All,

I once heard it said that "when the student is ready, the teacher will come." There has been a lot of time for self reflection during this time we've had in isolation. We've been given the opportunity to re-prioritize, be transformed, and enter our "new normal" with mindfulness....coming out of this... a bit stronger and wiser! Michelle shared another great article called Meditation for Healing. In this short article, the writer, Kate Clark, explains the benefits of guided meditation on our health: mental, emotional, physical and spiritual. She even has techniques for beginners... and it connects back to Marty's thoughts on BREATHING! I loved the simplicity of her information, and the fact that WE EACH HAVE THE POWER TO CREATE CHANGE!

Marty also shared some daily intention ideas:
Relationship/communication 
  • I intend to experience relationships with everybody that are joyful, loving and supportive 
  • I intend to easily and effectively communicate.
  • I accept and forgive myself at all times no matter what.
Diet/body image 
  •  I easily achieve and maintain my ideal body weight
  •  I enjoy eating foods that keep my body slender, healthy and fit.
General health 
  •   I naturally and easily resolve emotional pain.
  •   I sleep well and awake refreshed.
  •   I effortlessly live at optimum health and well-being.
  •   I intend to support all my brothers and sisters in their growth and freedom.
--Breathe—
Marty Murphy
Author
The Mind Whisperer 
Do you remember the song from our parents' era... Accentuate the Positive? Click here to hear a fun version by Bing Crosby and Bette Midler!

I am tossing it out there...would love to hear any more family members'  ideas on mindfulness, gratitude, positive affirmations etc. You can write it in the comments section... or you can email me!

Birthday Shout-Out: April 18:🎂
Erika Arick (Melda & Tom's daughter-in-law; Michael's wife)

I positively love you all!
LYM,
Reenie

3 comments:

  1. Hey Reenie,
    Thank you once again for your leadership and guidance during this time. Both my dad and I (and this is NOT new by any means) want us all to understand how easy this is (e.g., meditation, breathing, mindfulness,praying, etc.). All it means is to concentrate on your breath. You do not have to go out into a field by yourself for 17 hours with no food or drink and meditate. NO! It means saying a mantra or prayer in your head, feeling the air moving in your nose and out your mouth. This can take 30 seconds, 5 minutes, or...I had conversations with my aunties about how I've taken up meditating and both said, "There is NO way." Um, I've been dealt the Murphy-Kerley monkey mind, moving and doing is more important than sitting still and breathing. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of other thoughts...I might have mentioned it but there is an app called Insight Timer. It's free and has tens of thousands of meditations, music, prayers, etc.

    Another thing to consider is tai-chi. There are classes available online. This is a practice that marries movement with breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had physical therapy last year for a trick knee. Turns out it wasn't my knee but my hip flexors. Therapist Tim gave me exercises to do, and while watching my form one day he blurted out "Breathe, Dan, breathe!". Duh, what? Turns out I never knew how to breathe. For 65 years I had been breathing completely wrong, expanding my abdomen during the exertion step instead of contracting. I learned to breathe: in-through-the-nose while relaxing the abdomen, out-through-the-mouth while contracting the abdomen. This new knowledge has given me new hope -- the next Tom Brady! -- and new insight, like how singers (like Marty) can blow a looooooong note through abdomen control. It's also given me insight into something else Marty does and shares with Michelle.

    You know how you can get so worked up about something, you can lose sight of what's going on around you, what's really important? It can happen to me...a lot! I get "lost in my head" .. overly-concerned about what people are thinking about me. I'm on the first tee, everyone is watching me bend over and tee up the ball, take my practice swing. Are they smirking about the hitch in my swing? Are my shorts too tight? I find my brain spinning circles when I'm supposed to be concentrating on the ball. But then -- Therapist Tim to the rescue! -- "Breathe, Dan!" In through the nose, out through the mouth. In nose, out mouth. Relax the abdomen, contract the abdomen. I'm calmed, back in the present, back in the now, out of my head. Aah. Seems silly, but it works for me. And then I duck-hook it OB -- but heck, who cares?

    ReplyDelete