Mission Statement

All I really really want my love to do is to bring out the best in me and in you too.
- All I Want by Joni Mitchell

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Choose

https://www.adrservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Firmat-OC-Lawyer-Mar-2019.pdf
The Most Important Word I Ever Read 

I have heard Frank Firmat tell the story of his wife, Laura's terrible car accident, and the day she placed a post-it note on her bathroom mirror with the word CHOOSE written on it. In March 1019, Frank wrote an article about his wife's amazing recovery, and the power of that one word!
"Eight years ago my wife was hit by a car. She had a fractured right knee, a
fractured left ankle, and the tibia and fibula in both legs were crushed into two dozen fragments. Forty-six days later, after surgeries, titanium rods, plates, screws, and skin grafts, she came home from the hospital to a wheelchair and painful rehabilitation. Today, she walks with a limp and with differing levels of daily pain. I retired from the
bench and to private judging because she needed assistance at home.
          Seven months after the accident, Laura took her first steps. 
          That same week she placed a yellow Post-it note on the bathroom mirror 
          with the word “Choose.” After it stayed for days, I asked her about the Post-it note. 
          Her unforgettable reply was: 
          "During the last seven months I’ve had time to think, and
          I’ve realized that I have squandered my life. I have reacted daily to what life 
          threw my way instead of living the life I wanted to live. 
          And I don’t want to live that way anymore. That Post-it note is a reminder that I daily 
          want to do what is life-giving to other people; it’s a reminder that even though I 
          have autumn on the outside of my body, I choose to carry an attitude of spring on 
          the inside. Finally, it’s a reminder to live a life that is not reactive and burdened 
          by the cynicism, conflict, and strife life may send my way. Instead, I want whatever 
          good there is in me to affect my world."

          I am certain my jaw dropped at the wisdom of her statement. During a period of 
          seven months,  my wife discovered the ancient wisdom of living with intentionality.  
          Let  “Choose” be your daily reminder to reach for what is important to you. Let “Choose”
          mean whatever you discern is the optimum way to live a life with meaning."

What a story of resiliency!

LYM,
Reenie

2 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful I have copied and pasted and sent it to my Bible study leader Linda!
    This kind of reminds me of our circumstances today as it turns dark outside tonite and is my 42nd my day of quarantine. This too shall pass and who knows when but I choose to try to keep my spirits up and live each day with some kind of purpose...I CHOOSE God and asking him for guidance on staying busy and content. Thanks Reenie for today’s post! đŸ˜˜ LYM, all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Steve--asking for forgiveness rather than permission -- it's so you! :-)

    Years ago I had a thought … I have no idea how it popped into my head, but I have used it all these years. A very simple statement: “You always do what you want to do.” It has worked very well for me for a long time.

    When I first mentioned these words at a party years ago people told me … no way … then … as we talked it out most agreed. Laura’s discovery as to what she was now able to achieve is as powerful as Frank’s discovery on top of that slide as to who he was.

    Thanks Reenie and Dan. A very fine read.

    Love … B & S

    ReplyDelete