Mission Statement

All I really really want my love to do is to bring out the best in me and in you too.
- All I Want by Joni Mitchell

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

A Memorial Day Remembrance

Al, John, and Walt Madden 1942 Guadalcanal



This picture hung in our home in La Mesa in the "Rogue's Gallery". 
Al Madden was a family friend; he and Dad worked together at Kelvinator. The Maddens lived in Anaheim and were very kind to Grandma Aggie and Aunt Agnes, since they lived nearby at that time. 

Kelly Madden (Dan Madden's wife; Al's son) posted this picture on her Facebook account for a Memorial Day Shout Out to her father-in-law and his brothers. She included the poem {below} that Al wrote to his Mom during World War II. Al sent it home to her along with the picture during the war.  Apparently it is a famous war photo and poem... I never knew that! I just thought that Dad was honoring a "good buddy"!



May we never forget the service of all the brave men and women who have fought for our freedom! 

LYM,
Reenie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Reenie,
    Thanks for putting a story to that picture!! Very touching!!!
    Love you more,
    Melda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was Al Madden's poem on the back of the picture in our rogues gallery? I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally got to your blog and the picture is all-telling! The poem is beautiful and brought tears to my eyes for everyone who has fought for this country! And still boots on the ground today! πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ❤️πŸ’™πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
    A wonderful tribute to Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you think about their beards?! I'd look like a middle-schooler in comparison!!

      Delete